Dozens of students in Kibworth will continue to learn from home for a second week after a serious local Covid-19 outbreak

The school has thanked everyone for their support as they continue to take guidance from Public Health England experts

Monday, 21st June 2021, 11:11 am

Dozens of students at a Harborough district secondary school will continue to learn from home for a second week after a serious local Covid-19 outbreak.

Pupils in three year groups at Kibworth Mead Academy are being told to stay away as it’s believed about 40 youngsters aged from 11-14 in Years 7, 8 and 9 tested positive for the coronavirus.

The school on Smeeton Road, Kibworth Beauchamp, is acting after seeking guidance from Public Health England experts.

Dozens of students at a Harborough district secondary school will continue to learn from home for a second week after a serious local Covid-19 outbreak.
Dozens of students at a Harborough district secondary school will continue to learn from home for a second week after a serious local Covid-19 outbreak.

Principal Emma Merry has told parents in a letter: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support during the last week.

“Although our control measures in school have been quality assured by Public Health England and the Trust, it is worth remembering COVID-19 is a transmittable airborne virus.

“This decision has not been taken lightly and we appreciate you will be as frustrated and disappointed as we are.

“To support our students and community we need to continue to uphold the advice and guidance of the Government and NHS.”

Keyworker and vulnerable children in the affected year groups can still attend the school – which has about 850 pupils altogether.