Israel-Palestine at war: live updates as almost 1,000 confirmed dead overall, US says it will send aircraft carrier
and live on Freeview channel 276
Hamas military commander Mohammad Deif claimed responsibility for the attack - claiming '5,000' rockets had been fired into Israel. In a rare public statement, he declared “enough is enough” and urged Palestinians everywhere to fight.
Meanwhile, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his citizens "we are at war" as he promised "the enemy will pay a price he has never known."
So far the death toll across both sides stands at about 1,100.
Follow below for the latest updates.
Israel latest as Hamas fighters ‘infiltrate’ country from Gaza Strip
1,200 Israelis and 1,100 Palestinians killed
Both sides have provided an update on the number of people killed since Hamas launched its attack on Saturday (7 October).
1,200 Israelis have been confirmed dead - a sharp rise in the death toll previously provided.
A spokesperson from the IDF said the jump (up by 200) is “not because there is ongoing fighting,” but because “as the time has gone by we are discovering bodies of dead Israelis in the various communities that Hamas infiltrated and conducted their massacres”.
The Palestinian health ministry confirmed that 1,100 Palestinians have died so far, with at least 30 killed by Tuesday's overnight air strikes on Gaza.
Sadly, both death tolls are only expected to rise.
Day 5: photos of the conflict
Warning: some readers may find the following images distressing.
Gaza's only power plant runs out of fuel
Gaza's only power plant has run out of fuel, the energy ministry said.
This means only generators are left to power the territory, but they also run on fuel that is currently in short supply.
It comes after Israel blocked water, food, electricity and fuel from entering Gaza, in response to the attack by Hamas.
Israel’s energy minister, Israel Katz, said: "For years we supplied Gaza with electricity, water and fuel.
"Instead of saying thank you, they sent thousands of human animals to slaughter, murder, rape and kidnap babies, women and the elderly.
That’s why we decided to stop the flow of water, electricity and fuel and now their local power station has collapsed and there is no electricity in Gaza."
Israel forms emergency government
Israel has formed an emergency unity government.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu agreed to form a war cabinet with the former defence minister Benny Gantz, who is also the leader of the centrist opposition party.
A joint statement said they had done so to focus entirely on the conflict.
Jake Marlowe: British man confirmed dead in Israel
Jake Marlowe, 26, went missing after Hamas militants attacked a music festival near the village of Re’im on Saturday morning (8 October).
He was working there as a security guard.
Tragically, an Israeli Embassy spokesperson confirmed that the 26-year-old had died.
His parents said in a statement: "We are heartbroken to have to inform you of the the crushing news that our son Jake has been confirmed dead in southern Israel."
They said repatriation plans were being put in place, adding: "Please respect our privacy at this most devastating time."
Seventeen British nationals, including children, are feared dead or missing in Israel following Hamas' attack.
British Airways cancels flights to Israel
British Airways has suspended flights to and from Israel due to safety concerns.
One BA flight had nearly reached Tel Aviv but turned back and returned to London.
Hamas threatens Israel
A Hamas spokesman has said the militant group will kill an Israeli civilian hostage any time Israel targets civilians in Gaza without warning.
Israel steps up response
Israel’s defence minister has ordered a “complete siege” on the Gaza Strip, with no electricity, food or fuel.
No immediate action against Hamas
The United Nations Security Council opted for no immediate action after an emergency meeting over the growing conflict between Israel and Hamas.
The United States had called on all 15 members to strongly condemn “heinous terrorist attacks committed by Hamas” which has seen Israel declare war on the Palestinian organisation.
US deputy ambassador Robert Wood said “a good number of countries” had condemned the Hamas attack, telling reporters they could probably figure out one of those which had not.
He said Hamas must end its “violent terrorist activity against the Israeli people” and said there will be a time to restart talks on a two-state solution to the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
“The time right now is we’ve got to deal with the hostage taking, the violence that is going on that’s being perpetrated by Hamas,” he said. “We’ve got to deal with first things first.”
Sporting events postponed
UEFA has postponed all matches scheduled to take place in Israel over the next two weeks.
War has left at least 700 people dead, a staggering toll on a scale the country has not experienced in decades.
Israel were set to face Switzerland on Thursday in European Championship qualifying Group I but the match at Tel Aviv’s Bloomfield Stadium will not take place.
The nation’s European Under-21 Championship qualifiers against Estonia and Germany on October 12 and 17 respectively have also been postponed.
And European football’s governing body has also called a halt to an Under-17 mini-tournament involving Israel, Belgium, Gibraltar and Wales, due to run from Wednesday until October 17.
UEFA said: “UEFA will continue to closely monitor the situation and will remain in contact with all teams involved before making decisions on new dates and on potential changes to other upcoming fixtures.
“UEFA will take the coming days to assess whether Israel can take part in their Euro 2024 qualifier against Kosovo in Prishtina.”