Smoke seen pouring out of a manhole cover at a key Harborough road junction
The area was sealed off as engineers tackled the emergency
Firefighters and engineers were drafted in after smoke was seen pouring out of a manhole cover at a key Market Harborough road junction last night (Thursday).
The drama was caused by water streaming into an underground electrical box at the junction of St Mary’s Road/Kettering Road and Clarence Street.
The area was sealed off as engineers from Western Power Distribution drove up to tackle the emergency as Market Harborough was hit by a thunderstorm and torrential rain.
A crew from Market Harborough Fire Station on Fairfield Road were called just after 5.30pm as the alarm was raised.
Firefighters were at the scene for almost two hours until the electrical unit was isolated.
Traffic lights at the busy road junction had to be switched off as work went ahead to fix the issue.