Shocked occupants of a house in Harborough escape unhurt after fire

An electrical fault in a fridge in a garage at the property is believed to have started the fire, the county’s fire service said

Tuesday, 1st June 2021, 9:57 am
Updated Tuesday, 1st June 2021, 9:58 am

The shocked occupants of a house in Market Harborough escaped unhurt after fire broke out early on Sunday morning.

Firefighters from Market Harborough’s Fairfield Road fire station and Desborough raced to the scene of the blaze in Tungstone Way, off Northampton Road, at about 6.40am.

Crews used two special breathing apparatus kits to fight the fierce fire, Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said today.

The shocked occupants of a house in Market Harborough escaped unhurt after fire broke out early on Sunday morning.

The blaze damaged about 20 per cent of the house - which was also seriously damaged by thick smoke.

An electrical fault in a fridge in a garage at the property is believed to have started the fire, the county’s fire service said.

Firefighters were at the scene for just over an hour tackling the incident.

Meanwhile, a wooden bus shelter was torched by arsonists in Brampton Ash, near Market Harborough, in the early hours of Sunday.

The shelter at the junction of the A427 and Hermitage Road was set on fire at 3.30am.

Fire crews were called out to tackle the deliberate blaze but the structure was destroyed.