Firefighters rescue dog from a house fire in the Harborough district

The people who live there were not in the house when the fire broke out this afternoon (Friday) and nobody was injured

Friday, 14th May 2021, 3:56 pm
Updated Friday, 14th May 2021, 4:01 pm

Firefighters have rescued a dog from a house fire in a Harborough village this afternoon (Friday).

Crews went into the house in Muncaster Close, Broughton Astley, to rescue the frightened pet after the fire started on the upstairs landing.

The people who live there were not in the house when the fire broke out and nobody was injured in the 999 drama.

Firefighters have rescued a dog from a house fire in a Harborough village this afternoon (Friday).

A fire engine from Lutterworth and an appliance from Leicester’s southern station raced to the scene just after 12 midday today.

They were alerted after several neighbours called 999 to report that smoke was billowing out of the roof of the property, believed to be a semi-detached house.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus kits and one hose reel jet to fight the flames.

They also deployed a “positive pressure ventilation fan” to clear thick smoke and fumes clogging up the house.

“There were no human casualties but one dog was rescued from the property,” said a Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman.

Firefighters were at the house tackling the blaze for almost an hour and a half.

The house suffered 50 per cent fire and smoke damage upstairs.

The fire service spokesman said the blaze is believed to have started accidentally on the first-floor landing.

An investigation is now being carried out to try to pinpoint exactly how the fire was sparked.