Man arrested on suspicion of the murder of a woman in Harborough has been bailed

He was arrested by detectives yesterday (Thursday) after Elaine Geoghegan, 70, was found dead in the back garden at her home last year

By Philip Hibble
Friday, 20th November 2020, 4:01 pm
Updated Friday, 20th November 2020, 4:02 pm

A man arrested on suspicion of the murder of a woman in Market Harborough has been bailed today (Friday).

The 71-year-old suspect questioned about the death of Elaine Geoghegan, 70, has been released on bail, Leicestershire Police said this afternoon.

He was arrested by detectives yesterday (Thursday) after Elaine was found dead in the back garden at her home in Shelland Close, Market Harborough, on Monday August 12, 2019.

Elaine Geoghegan.

Police were called at 12.17pm that August day 15 months ago by the ambulance service after she was found face down in a pond.

Elaine, a mother-of-two and a grandmother, was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

A detailed post mortem examination concluded that the cause of her death was “unexplained”.

“From enquiries carried out since Elaine’s death it has been deemed appropriate to launch a murder investigation,” said police.

Police examine the hoiuse at Shelland Close, Market Harborough.

“Yesterday (Thursday 19 November) a man, 71, from Market Harborough was arrested on suspicion of murder – he has since been bailed.”

Officers are carrying out intensive enquiries in the Shelland Close area of Market Harborough as the investigation into Elaine’s death continues.

Police are also asking residents about what they might have seen or heard around the time of the much-loved pensioner’s death as specialist officers support her devastated family.

Det Insp Nicole Main, of East Midlands Special Operations Unit Major Crime Team, is leading the highly-complex murder inquiry codenamed Operation Kilter.

“Our investigation remains ongoing.

“At this stage we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.

“But we encourage anyone with information about what happened that day in August last year to come forward.

“I know 15 months is a long time and it is hard to remember what you might have been doing that day,” said Det Insp Main.

But, for the sake of Elaine’s devastated family, I am asking you to cast your mind back.

“Did you see or hear anything unusual that day?

“Did you see Elaine that morning?

“Any information - no matter how insignificant you think it may be - could prove vital to our investigation.

“If you have any information that you believe could assist the investigation please call 101 quoting Operation Kilter.”

You can also report online by visiting