Popular Harborough café bar forced to close for the second time in a month after another chef has tested positive for Covid-19

The male chef had just returned from holiday when the results of his coronavirus test emerged, said the restaurant

Monday, 31st August 2020, 5:55 pm
Updated Monday, 31st August 2020, 5:58 pm
The Mercado Lounge on Abbey Street, Market Harborough.

A popular Market Harborough café bar has been forced to close for the second time in a month after another chef has tested positive for Covid-19.

Bosses moved quickly to close the Mercado Lounge on Abbey Street temporarily on Saturday night after being hit by the repeat blow.

The male chef had just returned from holiday when the results of his coronavirus test emerged, said the restaurant.

The town centre eaterie said he worked purely in their kitchen – and has not been in contact with any customers who may be worried.

People who turned up at the Mercado Lounge on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday were met by a notice on the door telling them they had shut again for the moment.

The setback comes after the café bar had to close its doors at the start of August for about a week after another male chef tested positive for Covid-19.

The Mercado Lounge said there is no link between the two separate incidents.

The outlet said it will re-open when they are confident that their entire team “are all fit and well”.

The building will also be deep-cleaned and sanitised from top to bottom.

The Mercado Lounge’s management posted this message to the public on their Facebook page on Sunday afternoon:

“Unfortunately we found out last night (Saturday) that another of our chefs has tested positive for coronavirus, as a result of which we have taken the decision to close temporarily (again).

“Thankfully he is not unwell, and no other members of the team are known to be displaying symptoms.

“There is no connection with the previous case and as he had only just returned from holiday his contact with other members of the team had been very limited, and any risk of infection will have been mitigated by our extensive hygiene measures, which include the wearing of masks.”

They added: “Nevertheless we have taken the decision to close as a precaution.

“We will re-open when we are confident our team are all fit and well and the Lounge has been thoroughly deep cleaned and sanitised.

“We know this news will cause concern to those of you who have recently visited Mercado, though it is worth pointing out that the team member who has tested positive works in the kitchen and did not have direct contact with customers.

“We have been collecting details of customer visits for NHS Test & Trace but we have been advised not to contact customers ourselves.

“If they decide it is necessary NHS Test & Trace will make direct contact.

“If you don't hear anything from them there is no reason for concern and you don't have to do anything."