Michael puts the burners on in FA Vase rout

Michael Byrne
Michael Byrne

MICHAEL Byrne hit a hat-trick as Desborough Town stormed into the second round of the FA Vase with a superb 6-0 win at Swaffham Town.

Ar Tarn, of the United Counties League premier division, stole the headlines in Norfolk by running riot in the tie.

Richard Scott gave them a 1-0 half-time lead, then Dan Kitching’s goal two minutes into the second period opened the floodgates.

Kevin Byrne made it 3-0 before his brother Michael took over. The latter added the fourth and then completed his hat-trick with two more before the end as he rounded off a day to remember for Desborough boss Steve Walker.

“It was a terrific result for us,” Walker said.

“They have been going well and there is a big hill on their pitch and we were going up it in the first half. They put us under pressure early on.

“But we got the goal and we knew if we got at them early in the second half then we would be in a strong position.

“That’s what happened and some of our football was a joy to watch.”

Desborough, who returned to league action with a 3-0 home defeat against Quorn on Tuesday night, will be away to Causeway United in the second round of the FA Vase competition on November 17.

This Saturday they are away to Yaxley in the league.

4 Harborough Town suffered a demoralising defeat away at fellow UCL premier division strugglers Wellingborough Town. They went down by two first half goals.

The Doughboys, who have started to pick up their form since the arrival of new manager Phil Mason, had a sprinkling of new signings in their squad.

The game started slowly, with both teams testing the other and easing into the match.

On 12 minutes Wellingborough won a free-kick wide on the right flank after Chris Hollist brought down the winger. The resulting free-kick was driven across the Harborough six-yard line and the ball was forced into the net through keeper Luke Maher’s legs by Wellingborough right-back Paul Cooper.

Harborough went further behind after 42 minutes when they failed to defend a corner, Doughboys centre- half Ben Ekins heading home from close in to give them a comfortable two-goal lead.

Harborough did go close to pulling one back when shortly before the break young Casey Logan, on loan from Histon, slammed the ball against the far post after a superb run down the right wing.

The second-half performance from Harborough was much improved but despite boasting the lion’s share of possession, they failed to create many scoring chances.

The only notable save the Wellingborough keeper had to make was when he tipped the ball over the bar from a Jake Bettles shot.

Harborough were also in league action on Tuesday evening. They fought out a goalless draw at home against Shepshed Dynamo, the team who beat them 3-0 on the opening day of the season.

Both sides had good spells of attacking possession but neither could create clear-cut chances.

Harborough host Sleaford Town this Saturday. The kick-off at Bowdens Park will be at 3pm.