Flattering score cannot deflect from heavy loss

editorial image

Lutterworth were on the receiving end of a slightly flattering 31-8 scoreline but were definitely second best against Leighton Buzzard.

Full-back Luke Ball scored first for Lutterworth but that was as good as it got for them.

For the first time this season the Lutterworth pack found themselves retreating as an energy sapping stalemate developed.

Defence by both sides held firm for the majority of the first half before the hosts created an overlap and scored the only try of the period to lead 11-3 at the break.

Only eight points down, Lutterworth still had Leighton in their sights.

The home team, however, must have had the best of half-time team talks as wave after wave of attacks brought mistakes from the Lutterworth defence.

The tries started to come for the Bedfordshire side and although Joe Ball managed to pull one back for the visitors it was the hosts who dominated.

Leighton closed ranks in the last quarter and some excellent defence against aggressive attacking Lutterworth play kept their line intact.

Harborough had a similarly frustrating afternoon although their match was much closer.

They lost 13-12 at Old Scouts in a fraught but unexciting game.

Neither team were able to put together many meaningful phases to threaten their opponents.

After 20 minutes Harborough took the lead with a well-struck penalty from Ed Bale.

Harborough began to enjoy a period of territorial superiority but their pressure came to nothing until, on the stroke of half-time, 
Bale converted a second penalty.

Old Scouts pulled three back before Bale scored again but too often a poor pass or handling error stopped the flow.

Scouts added their second penalty to reduce the arrears and the weight advantage of the home team’s forwards was beginning to show.

Bale’s fourth penalty gave hope that Harborough might hang on.

But with just a few minutes remaining, an exchange of meaningless kicks offered the home team a rare attacking opportunity.

Their fly-half kicked the ball wide and the Scouts’ left wing latched on to the ball to score a good try.

From a difficult angle the home team’s kicker added the extra two points to give his team the narrowest of leads.

Harry Hurst thought he might have scored a match-winning try for Harborough but the referee decided it hadn’t been scored and blew the final whistle.