Wife found husband dying in pool of blood

MOUNTING financial and personal problems drove a depressed Kibworth man to cut his own throat in his garage.

An inquest at Leicester Town Hall heard how Richard Collin (44) committed suicide on July 3 last year and was found dying in a pool of blood by wife Deborah at their Beauchamp Road home.

An unemployed computer aided design draftsman Mr Collin was struggling to find work, was on anti-depressants and had been living off his wife's pension since she retired six years ago.

In a statement read at the inquest on March 1 Mrs Collin said her husband was consumed by the thought he would not be able to provide for her in old age.

He also 'tortured himself' with the idea that they had sold their former home on Fleckney Road for 10,000 less than the market value and believed neighbours were laughing at him for it.

The couple were childless and IVF treatment Mrs Collin was having had not been successful, adding to their sadness.

Several days before he took his life, he would wake up talking about his increasingly irrational worries - but he was calm the day he died.

Former psychiatric nurse Mrs Collin, who retired six years ago due to depression, said: "That morning we had just woken up and he took my hand and said Deborah I love you. He didn't talk after that. It was as if he was somewhere else."

She asked him if he had felt like killing himself.

When he said yes, but had not considered the method he would use, she booked him a doctors appointment for that day.

When they returned from the surgery, he said he was going for a 'lie down' at about 5.15pm - but Mrs Collin later realised he had locked himself in the garage.

She asked him to open the door, which led into their house, and he answered 'in a minute'.

When she threatened to get help to break it down, he unlocked it and she found him slumped in a pool of blood, a craft knife lying nearby.

Police and a paramedic tried to revive him but he was pronounced dead at 6.15pm.

Mrs Collin told the inquest she had taken three overdoses in the past but had found it easier to cope with life over the last four years.

She said: "My husband was a worried man but we had lots of happy times together."

Consultant pathologist at Leicester Royal Infirmary, Dr Ralph Bouhaider, said Mr Collin had died from four wounds to his neck.

Recording his verdict, coroner Martin Symington said: "The disappointment over the sale of his house, which by then you would have expected him to come to terms with, was a festering problem for whatever reason.

"His financial concerns and not getting work despite job applications must have been demoralising.

He believed Mr Collin had made up his mind to end his life that morning and added: "I can record on the balance of probabilities he killed himself when the balance of his mind was disturbed."