UPDATE: Man dies after his wheelchair collides with car


An electric wheelchair rider aged 77 has died after a collision with a car in Market Harborough.

The collision happened at about 12.50pm on Sunday, November 1, on Welland Park Road, at the busy junction with Northampton Road.

Mr Malcolm Inkersole, a retired TV engineer who lived in Market Harborough, was airlifted to the University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire after the accident.

He died in hospital on Tuesday morning.

Mr Inkersole’s wife Elsie said her husband had “just gone out for some fresh air” on a bright Sunday morning.

She said he had only just come back home after a short spell at Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, where he had been admitted after suffering from breathing difficulties.

“After being inside for so long, he just wanted to get out for a little while,” she said.

Mr Inkersole’s red Rascal electric wheelchair was in collision with a silver Toyota Auris, the police said.

By coincidence, one of the people on the accident scene was Mr Inkersole’s only child Myra Moore, who was visiting Market Harborough from her home in Desborough, with her husband Darren.

She had been shopping in St Mary’s Road, when she was phoned about the accident.

Mrs Moore said: “I saw my father lying on the ground. The police were there and the helicopter had just arrived.

“To be honest, he didn’t want me there. I don’t think he wanted to cope with what had happened to him and worry about me.”

An air ambulance was called to the scene at 12.56pm, and landed at nearby Little Bowden Recreation Ground to airlift London-bornMr Inkersole to hospital.

He had injuries to his neck and back. No one else was injured in the accident.

Mother-of-two Mrs Moore said: “My father had only come out of hospital in the early hours of Saturday morning.

“He had wanted to go out, so mum had said ‘don’t go far, and I’ll put the dinner on’.

“My father hasn’t really been well for some time, but obviously I wasn’t expecting him to go like this, in a major road accident. But it is what it is. There’s nothing we can change now.”

Several passers-by assisted at the scene, and stopped the traffic before police arrived.

The police blocked off a section of Welland Park Road for about two hours, following the accident.

Police have appealed for anyone who saw the collision itself, or either vehicle beforehand, to come forward. Anyone with any information should contact PC 1580 Neil Painter on 101.