A £1.5million scheme to prevent flooding in Harborough’s Coventry Road is on schedule to be completed by the end of March.
A road closure has been in place at the corner of Coventry Road and High Street since January 5 and will remain in place for another eight weeks.
Antony Innes, a spokesman for Anglian Water, which is carrying out the work, told the Mail this week that everything is on schedule. Two huge drill pits, big enough to swallow a car and about four metres deep, have been dug in Coventry Road.
The next phase of work will start on Friday, February 6.
It will involve an unmanned drilling machine tunnelling underground from the west of Coventry Road, near the Commons car park entrance, to the top of the road at its High Street junction.
Mr Innes said this tunnelling machine looks “similar to the Thunderbird 4 craft”.
Work, which started in December involving a manned drilling machine digging an underground tunnel from underneath the Commons car park to The Square, was finished last week.
It will eventually be linked up to the tunnel being created in phase two.