Police warning on old Focus store site in Market Harborough

Pc Malcolm Roberts outside the old focus DIY store in Market Harborough which has been targeted  by vandals.'PICTURE: ANDREW CARPENTER
Pc Malcolm Roberts outside the old focus DIY store in Market Harborough which has been targeted by vandals.'PICTURE: ANDREW CARPENTER

Police have warned local youths to stay away from the “dangerous” former Focus warehouse on the edge of Market Harborough.

The large warehouse off Rockingham Road, which has been empty since mid-2011 when the Focus DIY chain collapsed, has become a target for vandals.

And local police have warned: “It’s very dangerous now; someone could be injured here.”

The site had been due to be taken over by supermarket group Tesco, regular Mail readers will recall.

Planning permission for the out-of-town supermarket was granted in May 2014 by Harborough District Council, despite opposition from many local people.

But Tesco scrapped its own plans to build a superstore on the site in August 2015, saying it had failed to agree a suitable deal with the landowner.

Pc Malc Roberts, who is based in Market Harborough, said the empty building was now just a shell.

“It keeps getting broken into by kids” he said, speaking to the Mail from the former Focus site.

“It’s been stripped inside so there’s nothing here, but I now patrol past the site regularly, and I’ve found kids in there several times, aged from about 13 to 16.

“We take them out of the building, speak to them and take them home.”

On Tuesday this week (January 5) when Mail photographer Andy Carpenter visited the site, he found an entire ground floor window had been smashed out by the vandals.

It would have been possible for a child to simply step into the derelict building.

“The owners do their best with security, but we’ll have to speak to them again about this site” said Pc Roberts.

“We’re worried that there could be a serious accident here.”