Controversial plans for a new Tesco superstore in Market Harborough remain on the table, the retail giant has said.
The company has today (Thursday, January 8) announced plans to shelve plans for 49 new large stores across the UK.
But the new out-of-town superstore, to be built on land off Rockingham Road, will not be among them.
Last month Tesco cleared the final obstacle for the new store when the Department for Communities and Local Government decided not to intervene in the planning process.
And this morning the company’s chief executive Dave King emailed the Mail to say the Harborough store would not be among the dozens of plans to be withdrawn.
He said: “We’ve carefully reviewed our large store plans across the country and we continue to believe our planned store in Market Harborough will provide a valued service to the local community.
“The new store will provide a great shopping experience as well as bringing new jobs and investment to the area. We’re not yet ready to confirm an opening date but we’ll keep the community closely updated.”
A spokesman for Harborough District Council said this afternoon that it has also received a letter from Mr Lewis confirming the firm’s intentions to continue with plans to build a new Tesco store in Market Harborough.
Cllr Phil King, the district council’s portfolio holder for planning, finance, assets and development, said: “I welcome the news that Tesco is committed to its future in Market Harborough.”
Tesco has also announced it will close 43 of its least profitable stores.