Mum’s warning after allergy 999

Quick response...Fiona Booth with her son Lewis 6 fully recovered after his allergic reaction.'PICTURE: ANDREW CARPENTER
Quick response...Fiona Booth with her son Lewis 6 fully recovered after his allergic reaction.'PICTURE: ANDREW CARPENTER

The Air Ambulance was called to the aid of a six-year-old boy in Market Harborough after he suffered an extreme reaction to sesame seeds.

The boy, Lewis Booth, a pupil at Meadowdale Primary School, ate the seeds in a cake at a friend’s house and suffered an anaphylactic shock which causes throat swelling, breathing difficulties and - in extreme cases - death.

“I was terrified” admitted mum Fiona, a teaching assistant. “And I want to warn other people about what happened.”

She was able to control Lewis’s symptoms by injecting him with an EpiPen, issued to people with potentially severe allergic reactions.

And Fiona said: “I don’t blame the friends. We had no idea he was allergic to sesame seeds. He has just had an itching reaction to peanuts - never something as extreme as this.

“It was the EpiPen that possibly saved his life, and I’m so glad I had one. I was told he’s a mild case, and it was highly unlikely I’d ever have to use it.”

The incident happened at about 4.15pm last Tuesday, June 26. Lewis realised something was wrong, and was accompanied to his home, where he also lives with dad Alan Booth, a project manager and sister Laura (nine).

He was then kept in overnight for observation at Kettering General Hospital.

Now Fiona is using the town’s half marathon on June 13 to raise funds for the Air Ambulance. Her justgiving page is www.justgiving.com/Fiona-Booth2 .