Fire at Harborough block of flats this afternoon; woman treated for smoke inhalation

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service

A fire inside a bin sparked a fire in a flat in Harborough town centre this afternoon (Wednesday).

A woman was led to safety from the flat by a firefighter and was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

A fire crew from Harborough station and one from Kibworth were called to the Northbank flats in Coventry Road at 2.20pm. Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to put out the flames.

The suspected cause was a bin fire inside the home, a fire control room operator from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said on its media voicebank earlier today.

Paramedics from East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) were also called to the scene and treated the woman.

On the offical Harborough Fire Station Facebook page, they said: “Harborough fire crews were called to Northbank today at approx 2.20pm; a reported building fire.

“A breathing apparatus team were sent into the property. Firefighter Craig Headley and firefigheter Nick Loomes aided a woman from her flat which was partially smoke-logged and handed her to a paramedic from EMAS.

“The flat was then ventilated by the fire crews. A Kibworth fire appliance was also in attendance at this incident.

“The lady was treated for smoke inhalation.”

Meanwhile, town firefighters were also called to Nelson Street on a ‘late fire call’ at 4.10pm today.

The fire was reported as out, but fire crews were sent to investigate. The flames had caused partial damage to an upstairs bathroom and bedroom.

The station’s Facebook page said: “A visual investigation was carried out by the incident commander and three firefighters.

“The firefighters also used their thermal image camera to look over the area effected by fire to check for sources/traces of heat.”

Story by Alex Blackwell

Follow Alex on Twitter, @BlackwellHarb.