A Harborough woman who was left heartbroken after thieves stole her entire allotment shed says she’s been overwhelmed by offers of help.
Frances Pollak had been planning to give up her Northampton Road allotment in Market Harborough after the theft.
But now retired Frances (66) has been given a new shed, and an offer of new tools.
And there are new plans to make the allotments more secure with extra fencing, and other measures still to be approved.
“I’m absolutely overwhelmed by people’s amazing help and support” said Frances.
“I am so, so pleased I can keep my hobby and carry on as normal.
“I feel like I’ve had a new lease of life.”
The shed was stolen from Frances’s allotment on Thursday, July 28.
The Mail reported that a heartbroken Frances had decided to give up her allotment after the theft.
She said: “I’m going to tidy up my plot and then give it up. I just can’t believe someone would stoop so low.”
But the theft report brought a kind response from Harborough people.
A fellow allotment holder has donated a second hand shed, and Homebase has been in touch asking if they can donate new tools to Frances.
What’s more, the Market Harborough and the Bowdens charity, which runs the allotments, is looking into extra fencing between the allotments and the cemetery, and further new security measures.
“It’s meant that I’m now going to carry on” said a delighted Frances.
Jan Edwards, secretary of Market Harborough and The Bowdens Charity, said: “We’re very pleased that she will be staying.
“It’s upsetting for allotment holders when they spend so much time preparing the land and then their work is spoilt.
“There will be extra fencing at the allotments, and we’re looking at other security measures too.”