Murdered nightclub boss worked as doorman in Harborough

A NIGHTCLUB owner murdered in Corby used to work as a doorman in Harborough.

Les Ross – also know as David – was found dead in a hotel in Corby last week.

A post mortem examination revealed Mr Ross died as the result of an assault.

Mr Ross was the business partner of Jon Cowell and the pair opened Lounge 66 and Rubix, in Corporation Street, Corby, earlier this month.

He had worked as a taxi driver and also as a doorman at Harborough’s Enigma nightclub, as well as in Corby, Kettering and Wellingborough.

People from Harborough have been paying tribute to Mr Ross on social networking websites.

His family also paid tribute to him, saying: “David (Les) was a hard-working, honest professional.

“He was one of life’s charmers, had a very warm caring nature, with a wonderful sense of humour.

“David was a larger than life character and will be remembered fondly by all his friends and associates. As a family we are struggling to come to terms with this horrific loss especially at this time of year when families should be together.

“David has been cruelly taken from our lives and we will support the police to ensure that justice is done.

“RIP David we love and miss you, we find strength, knowing you are now safe in the Lord’s hands.”

Police have revealed Mr Ross, who was found in the Village Express Hotel in the Jamb, Corby, at 2.40pm on Monday, December 17, had been the victim of a burglary just days before his death.

He had been staying at the hotel after his Corby home was broken into while he was at work during Friday evening or the early hours of Saturday morning.

The intruders had left taps running during the break-in, which caused water damage and forced Mr Ross to move out and seek alternative accommodation.

A Blackberry phone, a Blackberry Playbook, an iPhone 4 and a Samsung laptop belonging to Mr Ross were all taken.

Detective Chief Inspector Martin Kinchin, who is leading the investigation, has appealed for witnesses who were in the Village Inn public house in Corby between 1.30am and 3am on Sunday morning to get in touch with officers.

He also said he wanted to speak to anybody going about their daily business at around 7am that morning.

Police know Mr Ross answered a telephone call at 7.15am on Monday morning.

Det Chief Insp Kinchin said: “A lot of his interactions were done by phone and we are keen to speak to them to see if he had any concerns.

“He had a wide social circle.

“There were also a number of people in the area (around the pub on Monday morning) that appear on CCTV.

“Those people may well have had a conversation with him or seen him. He was a well-known figure.

“We would be interested to talk to anyone who may have seen him.

And he vowed: “We will get there.

“We are hopeful that in the next couple of days we will get a breakthrough.”

Anyone with any information is urged to call Northants Police on 101, and ask for Operation Lane.