Council admits it got it wrong over bins consultation

SUS-150316-101656001
SUS-150316-101656001

The leader of Harborough District Council Blake Pain has apologised for the delay in consulting the public on a planned overhaul of the district’s bin collections.

But he said every household in the district had now got the consultation document through the post – and a remarkable 3,000 households have responded so far.

“By any measure that’s a fantastic response to our consultation,” he said.

Cllr Pain was speaking during a full meeting of the district council on Monday, and said the Conservative-run council “holds its hand up” and admitted that communication about the waste collection had been delayed.

But he pointed out the deadline for public responses to a questionnaire had been extended to August 15.

The Mail has previously highlighted the lack of publicity about the consultation.

Under the council’s bins review, residents could be charged for having their green bins collected or see their black bins collected only once every three weeks.

It could also see the return of the district’s food waste collections.

At Monday’s meeting, Liberal Democrat councillor Pete Callis asked: “If the majority of people wish to keep the service we’ve got, what is going to happen?”

Cllr Pain said the council’s current waste collection contract, which is provided by FCC Environment, was a good deal, but that the contract would be coming to an end soon.

“Keeping our current contract exactly as it is, is not an option,” he said.

“We have to go and explore what other options are available to us.”