BREAKING NEWS: Man at Crown Court today charged with Harborough street stabbing

Police at the scene of the stabbing in Green Lane, Market Harborough, on December 24. (Mail picture: Andrew Carpenter)
Police at the scene of the stabbing in Green Lane, Market Harborough, on December 24. (Mail picture: Andrew Carpenter)

A man was brought before Leicester Crown Court today (Friday) charged with stabbing a Market Harborough man in the street.

Lee Anthony Warburton (58), of Whitehaven, Green Lane, Market Harborough, was brought before the court, in Wellington Street, Leicester, at about 2.30pm.

Mail reporter Alex Dawson witnessed the case at Leicester from the public gallery.

The hearing lasted for about five minutes.

Warburton spoke briefly only to confirm his name and address. He was wearing a grey sweatshirt and blue jeans.

In total, Warburton has been charged with three offences:

*Unlawfully and maliciously wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to Wayne Leatherland in Green Lane, Market Harborough, on December 23, 2014.

*Being in possession of a folding pocket knife with a cutting edge of more than three inches in a public place;

*Possession of an offensive weapon, namely a cosh, in a public place.

Victim Mr Leatherland, who is aged in his mid-40s, was released from hospital last week, according to Leicestershire Police.

Warburton first appeared at Leicester Magistrates’ Court on Boxing Day.

Warburton was remanded into custody during today’s Crown Court hearing, which was adjourned until next week.

An application was made for bail but was refused by circuit judge Michael Fowler.

Police officers were called out to Green Lane, off Cromwell Crescent in town, at about 7.30pm on December 23 after reports of an assault.

Mr Leatherland suffered a single stab wound and was taken to University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, in Walsgrave.

Neighbours say the first they knew of the incident was when police cars filled the small Market Harborough cul-de-sac just after 7.30pm.

Shortly afterwards residents saw a man being carried into an ambulance on a stretcher. Witnesses said a man had collapsed at the top of Green Lane.

There was a heavy police presence outside a home in Green Lane until the next day.

Both ends of the street – at its junction with Cromwell Crescent and at a footpath to Tungsten Way – were cordoned off as police investigations continued.

Story by Alex Dawson and Alex Blackwell.

Follow Alex on Twitter