Billesdon motorist died 11 years after Skeffington crash

Loros Hospice
Loros Hospice

A barman from the district died as a result of a car crash 11 years earlier.

An inquest this week was told that Ian Spencer Williams, from Billesdon, sustained a serious head injury in a road traffic collision on June 15, 2003.

The four-vehicle crash was on the A47 Uppingham Road in Skeffington.

At the time of the crash, which the inquest said was not his fault, Mr Williams was aged 28.

But, the inquest was told that from then until his death 11 years and one day later, on June 16, 2014, he was dependant on other people for all aspects of his care.

Assistant coroner Lydia Brown, presiding at the inquest at Leicester Town Hall on Monday, ruled that Mr Williams had “died from recognised complications of his condition”.

Mr Williams, who was single, died at the Loros Hospice in Groby Road, Leicester.

He was 39-years-old.

Mrs Brown commended Mr Williams’ family for their unstinting care and support for their son.

She said: “I don’t think anyone can presume to know how difficult these years have been for the family. Right up until this inquest, they were still caring, still advocating for their son.”

After the inquest, Mr Williams’ parents Keith and Linda told the Mail: “We’ve been through several lifetimes since this crash.

“Ian was active, outdoorsy and fit, and since his death so many people have been saying what a great guy he was.”

Det Con Adrian Keeble, of Leicestershire Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, told the inquest that four vehicles, including Mr Williams’ Vauxhall Corsa, were involved in the crash in 2003.

DC Keeble said it seemed Mr Williams had taken evasive action, after spotting an overtaking vehicle on his side of the road.

The inquest was told another driver – Jonathan Carlisle – was later convicted of careless driving as a result of the crash.

DC Keeble said since Mr Williams’ death, police had looked into whether Carlisle could now be prosecuted for death by careless driving.

The Crown Prosecution Service had decided it was not possible to bring a charge, because new legislation covering such cases had not come into force until 2008, five years after the original accident.

The in quest heard that the cause of Mr Williams’ death was aspiration pneumonia, resulting from a serious head injury sustained in a road traffic accident.

His home address was given as Rushcliffe Nursing Home, Loughborough.