Be prepared for the unexpected...event on The Square tomorrow (Weds)

The bottom of St Mary's Road near The Square in Market Harborough in the summer of 2013 when flash flooding hit the town. (Picture by Miranda Eldridge).
The bottom of St Mary's Road near The Square in Market Harborough in the summer of 2013 when flash flooding hit the town. (Picture by Miranda Eldridge).

How prepared would you be in the aftermath of your house being flooded, burgled or burned?

These chance events can fall into the category of “Oh, that would never happen to me” - but how ready would you and your family be in the face of such an emergency?

This is the question being posed at an event in Market Harborough tomorrow (Wednesday) aiming to raise awareness about people’s readiness in the face of the unforseen.

Market Harborough Building Society is holding the event on The Square in town outside its main Market Harborough branch to raise awareness about safety and security.

It starts at 10am and runs until 3pm.

Representatives from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, the county air ambulance and Leicestershire Police will also be on hand to raise awareness about the importance of being prepared for unexpected events and offering advice and support.

The building society’s home insurance providers Royal & Sun Alliance will be attending with its Emergency Response Vehicle which is deployed to areas after severe flooding has hit, to help residents who have been affected.

Flooding is something which Harborough residents are all too familiar with - there have been several major floods in the town since 2003 with the most recent being in the summer of 2013 when the town centre was under several feet of water after flash flooding struck (main picture, above).

A spokesman for the building society said: “The day will also be an opportunity for people to review their home insurance protection to ensure they are properly covered against the unexpected.

“Quotes are free and for anybody who has one on the day or books to have one, they will receive a free smoke-alarm for their home.”