Mail Memories: Headlines from history

10 years ago: Son is safe from tsunami tragedy

A survivor of the Boxing Day tsunami disaster in Asia was due to arrive home in Market Harborough ten years ago this week.

Guy Harris and his girlfriend Dal Sahota had been backpacking around Thailand for three-and-a-half weeks and were staying in the beach resort of Phuket when the huge tidal wave hit.

The couple were due to fly into England the day the Mail was on newsstands – December 30, 2004 – and they escaped unhurt. Mr Harris, then aged 27, was an apprentice electrician at the time.

His parents John and Lyn, of Harborough signwriting business The Sign Post, were emailed by their son to let them know he was alright.

The Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami disaster killed more than 227,000 people in 14 countries.

25 years ago: New name for council considered

There were plans to re-name Harborough District Council 25 years ago this week.

A special meeting of councillors was being asked to consider the name “South Leicestershire District Council”, the Mail reported on December 28, 1989.

The name-change was widely panned and calls were made to abandon the suggestion but councillors were due to meet in the new year to discuss it anyway.

Meanwhile, the crunch decision on Harborough’s proposed £3million leisure centre was due to be made ina week’s time on Thursday, January 4.

The issue had become the hot topic of the time and the Mail’s letters page was full of contrasting opinions on the pros and cons of having a new centre in town.

50 years ago: Narrow escape for boat owner

A fire on a boat sparked an explosion in Kibworth 50 years ago this week.

The explosion in Andy St Cloud’s boat at Kibworth “put back his dream by another two months and brought him a repair bill of more than £100”, the Mail reported on Christmas Eve, 1964.

For seven years, Mr St Cloud’s boat – an ex Admiralty barge – had stood high and dry on the side of the canal at Kibworth. In his spare time he had been renovating it and had planned to be on the Shannon in the spring. But on December 17, gas leaking from a container in the boat was ignited by a lamp Mr St Cloud was carrying and exploded.

Kibworth firefighters were on the scene “wonderfully quickly” but before the fire was out, over £100 of damage was caused.