New Covid-19 cases in Harborough soar – overwhelmingly hitting young people under 30
The new statistics were revealed at full Harborough council meeting last night (Monday)
The number of new Covid-19 cases in Harborough soared to almost 150 in just seven days – overwhelmingly hitting young people under 30.
Some 149 people tested positive for the coronavirus across the district in the seven days leading up to Sunday June 20, it’s emerged.
That was a massive increase of 112 cases in Harborough on the previous week – a 302 per cent increase.
The new statistics were revealed by Cllr Phil King as he addressed the full Harborough council meeting last night (Monday).
Cllr King, who leads the authority, told councillors: “In the past two weeks there has been a marked increase in the number of positive test outcomes.
“And as at Sunday 20th June 2021, the GOV.UK website says that the number of new cases for Harborough district over the last seven days was 149.
“That’s an increase of 112 in the previous 7 days, a 302 per cent increase.
“I expect that these figures will increase further over the coming days before we see them decline,” warned Cllr King.
“They have been predominately in age groups under 30 - and related to an outbreak at the Kibworth Mead School.”
He said the rate of infection for teenagers aged from 15-19 had rocketed to almost 800 per 100,000 by Tuesday June 15 – many times the national average for England.
“The peak age groups are 15-19, 10-14, 20-24 and 25-29-year-olds with a rolling rate of 792/100k for 15-19 age, as at 15th June,” said Cllr King.
Imploring people to work flat out to combat the spread of the virus’s new highly-transmissible Delta variant, he said: “There can be still no room for complacency.
“I urge every member of this council to set the lead in our community by ensuring that you and your family continue to complete your 2 tests per week.”
Cllr King did stress that “there seems to be negligible impact on the 60+ age or in those lower age groups, with very high levels of having had both vaccinations”.
He told councillors that as of last Sunday (June 20) some 83.9 per cent of adults in Harborough had received their first vaccination - and 66.8 per cent had had both shots.
Cllr King said he is now hoping that the Government will lift all remaining Covid lockdown rules on Monday July 19 after postponing so-called Freedom Day from Monday June 21.
“The highly-anticipated removal of all restrictions on midsummer’s day was postponed by the Government last week to the 19th July.
“I share everyone’s disappointment with that decision.
“I hope, as I’m sure many of you and our communities do, that no later than the 19th July, the remaining restrictions will be wholly removed,” he said.
“However, in the meantime this council and its staff will continue to take its compliance and legal responsibilities seriously.”