Fire-hit pub in Harborough set to re-open next autumn

A popular Market Harborough pub destroyed by fire is to be re-opened next autumn.

Monday, 23rd December 2019, 10:23 am
Updated Monday, 23rd December 2019, 10:24 am
Over 40 firefighters were drafted in from all over the area to battle the ferocious blaze at The Roebuck after it erupted just before 11pm on Friday September 6.

The owners of the Roebuck on Rockingham Road have got the go-ahead to rebuild it.

Marston’s aim to start work in the New Year after being handed planning permission by Harborough District Council.

The major £3 million project is set to take the Wolverhampton-based brewery up to nine months as the inn rises like a phoenix out of the ashes.

The ambitious scheme is poised to create up to 45 new full-time and part-time jobs at the reborn Roebuck.

And it’s been welcomed by Cllr Phil Knowles, leader of the Opposition on the council.

Andy Kershaw, of Marston’s, said: “We have received planning permission in order to start rebuilding the Roebuck, which is a great step forward.

“We are hoping to start the building work in early 2020 with an aim to open by autumn.”

He said they were determined to build a superb new pub, even better than the old one, that Harborough would love.

“We are delighted to move forward with plans for a bigger and better Roebuck,” said Andy.

“We want to do this right and will heavily invest to make sure we build an even better local for Market Harborough to be proud of.”

Andy also saluted townspeople for supporting shattered Roebuck staff and the brewery since the devastating blaze.

“We want to thank everyone again for all the fantastic support we have received during this time,” he said.

Andy said they are now looking forward to cracking on in 2020 and creating the new Roebuck over the next few months.

Over 40 firefighters were drafted in from all over the area to battle the ferocious blaze after it erupted just before 11pm on Friday September 6.

Quick-thinking manager Andy Lapsley evacuated nine staff and customers as flames tore through the building.

The terrifying late-night fire was sparked by an electrical fault, fire and rescue service investigators found.

The wrecked pub was demolished by bulldozers in October and the charred site flattened.

Cllr Knowles told the Harborough Mail: "People will be absolutely delighted to see this much-loved pub rebuilt.

“It will be brilliant to see it re-opened so quickly after the terrible fire that engulfed it just a few months ago.”