An NHS health official has given assurances over the proposed changes to minor injuries care in Harborough including a promise of minimal job losses.
Tim Sacks, who is chief operating officer of the East Leicestershire and Rutland Clinical Commissioning Group, made the jobs pledge during an interview with the Mail last Thursday as part of a consultation event at Harborough’s Congregational Church.
Mr Sacks said the proposed shake-up will have “minimal or no job losses at all” and that the plan is about providing the best possible service across its area, not about saving money.
He admitted that the health trust’s preferred option is for option three – a minor illness and minor injuries service provided by Market Harborough Medical Centre during weekday hours and the out-of-hours aspect put out to tender.
The other two options are similar to the status quo but with reduced hours. The Cottage Hospital in Coventry Road currently runs a walk-in, nurse-led minor injuries unit between 9am and 9pm.
Mr Sacks promised that waiting times at a GP-run minor injuries unit would not exceed two hours.
He said he was confident Market Harborough Medical Centre could provide as good a service as is currently provided at the Cottage Hospital.
A total of 24 people attended the 90-minute consultation event.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for the commissioning group dismissed rumours this week that staff at the Cottage Hospital had been given a six-week closure notice.
The spokesman said the rumour was “completely wrong”.