Three people have now been arrested in connection with an incident at Harborough’s Justin Park traveller site in which a man suffered apparent machete wounds.
The 58-year-old man suffered the injuries to his head and hands in the alleged attack shortly after 10.30am yesterday (Thursday) morning.
The Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance (WNAA) was called at 11.30am. Paramedics bandaged the man’s injuries and gave him pain relief before airlifting him to the University Hospital in Coventry.
A spokesman for the service said they had been called out following reports of a machete attack. The man’s wounds were not life-threatening, he added.
Northamptonshire Police, who dealt with the incident, confirmed the man had suffered cuts to his head but said they were still trying to determine exactly what weapon was used.
They said they arrested three people in connection with the incident: a 16-year-old boy, and 18-year-old man and a 44-year-old man.
All three remain in police custody, a spokeswoman said this afternoon (Friday).
A statement released by the WNAA this morning said: “Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance (WNAA) were called out to Market Harborough, Leicestershire after an incident near a mobile home park.
“They had received reports of a male in his 50s who had been attacked with a machete on the morning of Thursday September 26.
“WNAA took off at 11.30am and arrived at the scene of the incident at 11.44am. On assessment, the patient had sustained cuts to his head and hand, but was conscious and alert.
“The crew applied bandages to the wounds and gave the patient much needed pain relief before flying him to University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire for further evaluation. They arrived at hospital at 12.15pm.”