DCSIMG

Annual crackdown on festive drink-driving

Drink driving campaign

Drink driving campaign

A campaign to catch people who drink and drive over the Christmas period has been launched in the district.

The police’s annual drink-drive campaign sees increased patrols and checks at locations across Harborough and the county in general.

Chief Insp Steve Potter, from Leicestershire Police, said: “Cracking down on those who drink and then drive is a year-round commitment for Leicestershire Police.

“However, we are very aware the festive season can present opportunities where people are tempted to drive after drinking.

“We would advise drivers to plan ahead by leaving the car at home, sharing a taxi or taking public transport or alternatively nominating a designated driver who will avoid drinking alcohol.”

Last year’s campaign saw scores of motorists stopped in the Harborough and Lutterworth area with three drivers arrested on suspicion of drink-driving. The first two arrests were in Broughton Astley and Great Easton before Christmas and the third driver was stopped on New Year’s Eve in Great Bowden.

There were 98 arrests across the county in December last year. The figure was down on the previous year where there were 108 arrests.

As part of this year’s campaign, police said there will be more officers out on the streets to enforce the drink-driving message in the district.

Checks will be made at random locations at any time of the day and night – early in the morning, at lunchtime and during the evening.

The campaign in the district is supporting the national December drink-drive campaign launched by the Association of Chief Police Officers which will see police forces throughout the UK working hard throughout the month to ensure the roads are kept safe for everyone.

Police reiterated the dangers of drink-driving during the launch at St George’s Way in Leicester on Friday where every driver stopped was made to take a breathalyser test.

Although no motorists on the day were over the drink-drive limit, there were a number of other motoring offences spotted among the 63 people stopped.

A total of 57 people were not wearing seat belts and 15 people were using mobile phones while at the wheel.

Other offences included a driver having no MOT, a faulty tyre, an illegal number plate and damaged windscreen, an illegal window tint, no licence, faulty break lights and no insurance. Two vehicles were seized and three arrests were made in relation to immigration issues.

For campaign updates and to find out more about the campaign follow
@RoadSafeLeics on Twitter.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page