A DOG owner is warning pet owners to be on their guard after her dog died from an apparent poisoning following a walk around Lutterworth Country Park.
Maggie, an eight-year-old springer spaniel belonging to Myra Keatley-Lill, who lives near the country park, died after returning home from a walk around the Brookfield Way park several weeks ago.
Since then, several other animals, including a number of foxes, crows and rabbits, have been reported dead at the country park.
The reports were passed on to Harborough District Council and environmental health officers have since passed the incident on to the police.
Mrs Keatley-Lill said: “We had walked through the country park and were in a field adjacent when Maggie took ill and started shaking.
“She died within about an hour – it was so quick – and she was being sick.
“When I contacted the vet they said it looked as if she had been poisoned by something. Afterwards I realised she had eaten some fish but I can’t be sure it was that.
“I’ve been approached by others who have seen dead animals since and I don’t want other dog owners to go through something like that.”
Mrs Keatley-Lill contacted Harborough District Council and later she met PC Neil Hughes, Leicestershire Police’s wildlife officer, at the park to walk around.
PC Hughes, said his investigation at the country park had so far drawn a blank.
He added: “Foxes and crows will eat carrion, so I could understand if they had eaten something which was bad for them and died, but the fact that rabbits have also turned up dead confuses things.
“The water in the pond has been checked, and that is fine, so it could be that someone is leaving out poisoned bait, which would be illegal, or it’s something natural which is poisonous – but that is rare because animals tend to know what’s bad for them.”
Anyone with information is urged to phone Leicestershire Police on 0116 2222222, using PC Hughes’ ID number 5248.
Alternatively, phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.