A Lutterworth couple who neglected a rabbit so severely it had to be put to sleep have been barred from keeping animals for five years.
Female rabbit Jack suffered severe urine scalding to all four paws and lost most of its facial fur while in the care of its owner’s mother Caroline Topham (47), and her husband, Craig Topham (49).
At Leicester Magistrates’ Court the couple admitted causing unnecessary suffering to the adult grey rabbit by failing to seek veterinary treatment for the rabbit at their flat in Maple Drive, Lutterworth between October 24 and November 14 last year.
Kevin McCole, prosecuting for the RSPCA, said Jack’s owner had moved out two years before and had left her pet in the care of her mother.
But on November 12, the owner was told by her sister that the rabbit was in a very poor condition, with no fur on its face. The owner spoke to her mother who told her she had taken Jack to the vet to be treated for mites.
The owner contacted the local vet who told her the rabbit had not been taken in, so she took the animal to a vet in Broughton Astley herself.
The owner and the vet then agreed the rabbit should be put to sleep because of its condition.
Caroline Topham told the court she was sorry about what had happened and she accepted she should have taken better care of the rabbit.
As well their ban, they were each fined £150 with a £20 victim surcharge.